I’m not exactly sure why my friend Rosie, shared this with the whole, wide, world. On my Facebook page nonetheless.
Anyway, that doesn’t matter…
I bought this pattern from ithinksew back in the spring. This is the same company that brought us the fabulous sew along book, One Yard Wonders that so many have sewn along with! They now have a second book, Fabric-by-Fabric One Yard Wonders that looks great, too!
Anyway… at the time they had the leather, for the soles, on sale. Now it looks like it is the new regular price. Gotta love price rollbacks!
Daughter has worn plumb through the slippers we made in December. Granted, they did have a flannel sole and she does live in them…. And even though winter has long gone, her feet were still cold and we can’t have that…
It was high time I tried my hand at leather sewing. It has been a while. A long while. So long that I have no idea what happened to the leather foot, for my Bernina, but it seems it wasn’t really necessary. This suede is really soft and supple. Parts of it were thicker, parts thinner, just as our own skin is, I suppose. Sewing with it against the surface of the machine, no problem. Sewing with it facing the foot, a little sticky… Either way, I wouldn’t want to do topstitching, where stitch consistency matters. Overall not at issue, but if you have never set in a sole (similar to a sleeve) then leather might not be your best, first choice.
I have to say, I’m not very good at reading directions when sewing. I like to read. I actually love to read. I just like to move faster than stopping to read directions allows! I like to look at the pictures and then just do it. This new slipper pattern was perfect for that. Lots of clear pictures. I say lots. I mean LOTS. Something went awry with my printer and it printed this pattern 3 times and then some. Each pattern is somewhere along the lines of 20 pages. I didn’t realize my printer held so much paper. Or ink….
I digress. This pattern is a PDF and comes with sizes 5-10 and lots of instructions, thus lots of pages. Just print the two or three pattern pages you need for cutting. The actual pattern is only two pieces, except in the larger sizes, where the sole pieces are too large for one sheet of paper and print in halves and then get taped together.
The pattern calls for 1/2 yard, and since I only used it for the exteriors, there is plenty left for other projects. If you are only doing the exterior you just need a piece 7 x 32″, 1/4 yard is no issue.
This went beautifully with the leather and I picked up 1/4 yard of dark brown Minky for the lining. My first time using Minky. I know! It is perfect for slipper linings. And once again 1/4 yard was plenty for the interior and the top of the inner sole. I used Kona cotton brown for all the other parts that didn’t really matter.
I had some 1/2″ thick, dense, cotton padding, used in upholstery, to line the inner soles with, for extra cushion. It worked well, but needed to be cut down, an extra seam allowance, to make up for its thickness. I think you could easily use 1/2″ green foam for another cushy option.
I added buttons from my Grandma’s button box for added detail. It wasn’t called for, but I like to share Grandma’s buttons whenever I can.
This pattern was easy, precise, fits well and I’m sure we will be making them again.
Because daughter can go through some slippers!
And we won’t even mention her shoe~aholic tendencies….