Busy, Blustery Day here…….

blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by strong winds and reduced visibility. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph) with blowing or drifting snow which reduces visibility to 400 meters or ¼ mile or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more..

Yup, that’s why the local meteorologists are so excited.  It’s been a while.  Two years since the last blizzard warning…   I think I was on Maui, at the time……  Anyway. 2-3 inches of snow per hour and the heaviest 24 hour snowfall in our history.  Ever.  That’s what they are hoping for.  I think they may have it right, this time, after crying wolf, one too many times…..

We’ll see.

From the inside.

Looking out.

27mph gusting to 40mph

Hard to see out there……..  It’s coming down and blowing pretty good, already.  Glad we have an automatic generator…….

But that’s not to say we don’t get a lot accomplished what with listening to the weather interruptions of our favorite shows……… Actually, as I was typing, this, the wind shifted and the window turned solid white.  I think all the snow that had accumulated, on the roof, came down in one swell swoop!  Pretty cool!

We do get a lot accomplished on snowy, indoor days….  This project has been in the works for quite awhile……..  Finally, ready to be pin basted.  Finally, finally…..  Something, I dread.  6.5 miles on the treadmill, nor any T-Tapp compares to the inner thigh pain of basting a quilt.  Teresa, you should come visit and take notes…..  Then I can cause *you* pain……… real pain.

75″ x 60″  All scraps.  Machine pieced, obviously.  Curves aren’t easy, but, oh so rewarding.  This will be for me.   My very own wall hanging.  It will hang in the lower level where I will see it every single day.  Those who visit me, down there, can see it, too.

Do you recognize any of these fabrics???

Or maybe these???

I love feeling so accomplished.  And there were many other fun things worked on today., too……..  Can you say Kona cotton solids????

Tomorrow will be another day.  Shoveling until my lats shatter……  From frostbite…..

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Crafting, fabric, Sewing, t-tapp. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Busy, Blustery Day here…….

1. What is a gorgeous quilt, Lori! I’m so in love with the curves. =) I totally love that you used such unexpected fabric combinations! Modern prints next to batiks (?) next to traditional florals next to pastels…it’s really the design and finished effect that matters, isnt it? Love it. You knocked this one out of the park!

Have fun shoveling!

• sewfrench says:

Awww, thank you Sue!
      That’s means so much coming from an experienced quilter.
      I do love the curves, I’ve made several quilts with curves, this being the over the top most elaborate. To get in as many additional fabrics, as possible, I used bias binding. Different widths all made to fit the spot and color. Most were just scrap biases of 12″ or less. Takes a lot of scrap fabric, of the right shape, to cut bias…. The messy sewing room photo, you have seen? Had to do with this project. I was picking and pulling and tossing fabric over my shoulders…. Aiming for a *fall* palette, but nothing was out, it was all scrap….
      It was fun, but I’m not sure I would do it again!

2. Penny Nelson says:

That’s a beeeautiful quilt. Ya’ll got clobbered downstate. We just got 4-5″ but the wind is blowing that around. So, out to shovel too. We lived in Chicago when the 23″-32″ storm hit. I turned around to see my shoveling progress, and wondered WHY I bothered! It was covering as fast as I could shovel.

• sewfrench says:

Yes, hammered, for sure. Glad to hear you didn’t feel the brunt of it up there. Even though Crystal Mountain might have enjoyed it…
      With the wind blowing and I’m doing the shovel work behind Peter with the snowblower, every path around the circle drive had more snow that the last…… This is crazy.
      Well, you can’t keep blowing towards the center without it eventually going over the top onto the other side…. That’s when I stopped.

• sewfrench says:

Thanks for the quilt comment!

3. Kim Jacques says:

This is quite a piece of work here girl! I am so glad you are keeping it for yourself you deserve to enjoy it! I am taking one quilt you made me to Mt. Home this week and leaving one here, so where ever I am I will be sleeping under one of them!

• sewfrench says:

Thanks, Kim, that’s means a lot.
      Next think you know, you’ll be wanting a quilt for your vehicle…… LOL!
      Quilts, stitched up, all full of love, are the best to sleep under. Right?

4. Tara says:

OMG!!! Lori, that is a piece of art!
    Forget the wall, just donate it to the local museum!!

• sewfrench says:

Awww, Thanks, Tara, but what would a museum do, but have people stare at it? My wall is empty, I can stare…. and this may have been my most time consuming quilt, ever, and I’ve still many, many hours to go……
      But thanks for the vote of confidence!

5. Elizabeth says:

Beautiful, Lori.

Makes me want to go out and buy new fabric.

Oh wait, I can’t. We are snowed/iced in as well. LOL

Happy quilting!

6. Kate says:

Wow, fabulous artwork girrrrrrrrrrl. You inspired me. I’d love to do something similar with paint and paper 🙂 Congrats on getting it finished~! And I hope you thaw out soon 🙂 ~kate

Talk to me people. I get tired of talking to myself!